Top tips for getting the most from waxing, and aftercare advice
I am always being asked about pre and aftercare of a waxing treatment, well here goes:
- Gently exfoliate and moisturise a week or so before your appointment as this will help the hairs break through.
- The hair should be no shorter than a grain of rice. You need to let the hair grow for three to four weeks before your appointment with no shaving.
- Avoid sun, deodorant, hot showers or baths, chlorinated pools, solariums, spas and saunas for 24 hours after waxing as these will irritate the skin.
- Lightly exfoliate 2 or 3 times a week but don’t go mad as this may cause ingrown hairs.
- Keep your skin moisturised.
- AND FINALLY – don’t try it at home. Get a trained and insured professional to do it and always use a waxer that uses hot wax for bikini, face and underarm, never strip wax. Most wax is hot and some salons will say they use it but they mean strip wax (often called warm wax). Strip wax is likely to make these sensitive areas sore. Hot wax sets and is removed by hand, strip wax is removed using a paper strip.