It’s important to get your waxing treatment done at the correct time – too soon and the hair will be too short and your therapist my not be able to remove all of it – too long and it will be more uncomfortable for you. After about 4 weeks check the length of your hair, it should be no shorter than a grain of rice. If it’s not quite there then wait another week or two.
Regular waxing is essential and should be done every 4 – 6 weeks depending on the speed of the hair growth. If waxing is done regularly the skin will be less sensitive and over time the hair will become finer and sparser.
You can wax virtually any part of your body and it’s estimated that about one in three men regularly remove hair from their backs, chests, legs or pubic areas, and that nine in ten women find back hair a bit of a turn off.
Male waxing services include legs, arms, underarms, back and shoulders, chest and stomach and male Brazilian or Hollywood.
For the majority of men, waxing is infinitely preferable to shaving or harsh hair removal creams and besides appearing more attractive to the ladies, listed below are the main benefits of male waxing.
1. Waxing removes hair from the root so lasts for approximately 4 – 6 weeks and after several treatments the hair often grows back softer and sparser.
2. The wax exfoliates dead skin cells resulting in softer, smoother skin.
3. Unlike shaving, waxing does not leave stubble and because the hair has been removed from the root, a new soft hair grows through.
4. Some men find that razors and hair removal creams can irritate the skin causing rashes or cuts. Waxing is smoother and much kinder to the skin.
5. Waxing can help to improve the performance of athletes and swimmers and it’s quicker and easier to dry off after swimming or showering.
6. Hair makes the skin warmer so once removed you’ll perspire less.
7. Male waxing makes your muscles look bigger and more defined, it also allows you to get tanned in areas where the sun was previously unable to reach!
If you’re tired of the frequency you have to shave and the itchy, stubbly regrowth then maybe it’s time you tried waxing.
Waxing is a very quick and long lasting method of hair removal and can be performed on virtually any part of the body. It is most commonly used for removing hair on the back, legs, underarms, bikini area and face.
Below is a list of benefits of waxing over shaving and may encourage you to convert to waxing as your method of hair removal.
1. Waxing removes hair from the root so regrowth takes approximately 4 – 6 weeks.
2. Waxing is quick and removes large areas of hair at one time.
3. Unlike other methods of hair removal ie hair removal creams or shaving, waxing does not cut the skin, cause pigmentation or rashes. Wax does not contain any harsh chemicals like creams.
4. After waxing a soft new hair grows through so no itching like hard stubbly shaved hair.
5. As well as leaving the skin soft and hair free, waxing also removes dead skin cells so you get a free skin exfoliation too.
6. After several waxing treatments many customers will notice much sparser hair growth, and in some cases hair may stop growing completely.
Bad waxes are avoidable if you do your research. Look online for an experienced technician with good reviews and don’t be afraid to quiz them. Ask them how long they’ve been waxing, if they use pre and post wax treatments, or what to do with regard to aftercare. If they are a true professional they will be happy to answer any of your questions.
I would always advise seeing an experienced waxer who specialises and is not a jack of all trades. The treatment room should be clean and comfortable and you should immediately be made to feel at ease, after all, waxing can be a daunting experience if you’re a first timer.
There should be a clean paper sheet on the couch and all spatulas and paper strips should be unused. Ensure your wax technician disinfects the couch straight after your treatment and never double dips as this is a sign that she may not know what she’s doing or doesn’t care enough about hygiene.
The length of time a waxing treatment takes depends on the area of the body being treated, but on average an individual treatment takes approximately 20 – 25 minutes including consultation. After the first treatment I can usually wax a back, chest and stomach or bikini area in 15 minutes, full legs take a little longer.
To get the most out of your wax you ideally need to leave 4 – 6 weeks between treatments depending on your regrowth rate. Usually hair growth is minimal during the first couple of weeks and then noticeably increases.
For your first few waxes there will probably be hair growing that hasn’t reached the surface yet or is too short for the wax to grab hold of. In the few days or weeks following a wax you will see these hairs appear and once you’ve been waxed a couple of times all hair should be long enough to be removed from the root.
If the hair is left to grow for the suggested period of time and you do not shave in between (this is a big no no!!), you will notice the skin staying hair free for longer and you’ll be able to increase the time between appointments.
I use two different waxes, Perron Rigot hot and strip wax but what’s the difference?
Hot wax is great for stubborn, coarse hair and is applied thickly, allowed to set and then removed by hand. It shrink wraps the hair and doesn’t stick to the skin so is perfect for small sensitive areas such as bikini (Hollywood, Brazilian), face and underarms. I won’t use any other kind of wax on these areas because it’s far too harsh.
Strip wax is perfect for larger less sensitive areas such as legs, arms, back, chest and shoulders. It is stickier than hot wax and a thin layer is applied and removed using a paper strip.
I am always being asked about pre and aftercare of a waxing treatment, well here goes:
Gently exfoliate and moisturise a week or so before your appointment as this will help the hairs break through.
The hair should be no shorter than a grain of rice. You need to let the hair grow for three to four weeks before your appointment with no shaving.
Avoid sun, deodorant, hot showers or baths, chlorinated pools, solariums, spas and saunas for 24 hours after waxing as these will irritate the skin.
Lightly exfoliate 2 or 3 times a week but don’t go mad as this may cause ingrown hairs.
Keep your skin moisturised.
AND FINALLY – don’t try it at home. Get a trained and insured professional to do it and always use a waxer that uses hot wax for bikini, face and underarm, never strip wax. Most wax is hot and some salons will say they use it but they mean strip wax (often called warm wax). Strip wax is likely to make these sensitive areas sore. Hot wax sets and is removed by hand, strip wax is removed using a paper strip.